A Guide to Washington State’s Urban Tree Canopy — Section 2

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/prod/public_html/pubs.cahnrs.wsu.edu/wp-content/plugins/CAHNRSWP-Plugin-College-Core/library/publication/class-publication-cahnrswp-ccore.php on line 230

A Guide to Washington State’s Urban Tree Canopy — Section 2

Download PDF
Section 3 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Mauris sit amet pulvinar massa, vel suscipit turpis. Vestibulum sollicitudin felis sit amet mi luctus, sed malesuada nibh ultricies. Nam sit amet accumsan dui, vitae placerat tortor. Vestibulum facilisis fermentum dignissim. Maecenas ultrices cursus diam, eu volutpat urna viverra non.


Figure 26. Mt. Fuji cherry (Prunus serrulata ‘Mt. Fuji’).
Figure 27. English laurel (Prunus laurocerasus).
Figure 28. Norway maple (Acer platanoides).
Figure 29. English hawthorn (Crataegus laevigata).

Diversity of genera

In this publication, 33 genera are discussed. A mix of trees is offered in order to meet the wide variability of climates and soil types across the state. The species listed in Tables 2–5 represent some of the most highly suited genera, species, and cultivars for different regions of the state. Data for these tables was generated by reviewing tree planting lists provided by the City of Seattle (2014), City of Vancouver (2012), City of Spokane (2014), Washington State University Chelan county (Dinius 2009), the City of Pasco (2016), the City of Bellingham (2010), and the City of Tacoma (2014). None of the selections offered are considered invasive, according to the US Department of Agriculture Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS 2016). Mature tree height and width data were derived from temperature zone land-grant university references.

Importance of Conifers

The native Pacific Northwest forest is primarily composed of evergreen trees, with lesser percentage of deciduous trees. Dense stands of Douglas fir and Western red cedar predominate in areas west of the Cascades, while Ponderosa pine, Lodgepole pine, and Western larch occur on the east side. In western Washington, many of the native stands of Douglas fir have been severely reduced, especially in the Puget Sound area, due to the increase in population and resultant development. Currently 31% of the forest in western Washington is comprised of evergreens, with the remaining 69% consisting of deciduous trees. Urban foresters in western Washington understand the need to further increase the percentage of conifers where appropriate.



Copyright Washington State University

WSU Extension bulletins contain material written and produced for public distribution. Alternate formats of our educational materials are available upon request for persons with disabilities. Please contact Washington State University Extension for more information

Issued by Washington State University Extension and the U.S. Department of Agriculture in furtherance of the Acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914. Extension programs and policies are consistent with federal and state laws and regulations on nondiscrimination regarding race, sex, religion, age, color, creed, and national or ethnic origin; physical, mental, or sensory disability; marital status or sexual orientation; and status as a Vietnam-era or disabled veteran. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local WSU Extension office. Trade names have been used to simplify information; no endorsement is intended.